Push notifications are no doubt a key for improving user retention. But the truth is there are few resources and stats about the best tactics. Until now!
I traveled a long way to our investor yesterday. The Supercity train offered me plenty of time to study dozens of PDFs in my “To Read” folder. One particular document caught my attention: Localytics App Marketing Guide 2015. One of the most interesting facts stated that if you bring a user back to the app 6 hours after the first session you significantly increase chances of a higher retention rate in the future. The key to this is push notifications. So, I looked through this long document and picked out a few insights about why push notifications are so important and how to use them in the best possible way.
- 52% of users activate push notifications.
- Push enabled users come back to apps at around 88% more than those who do not enable push notifications.
- Retention is between 2-3x higher for apps with push notifications enabled.
- The highest click rate is on Tuesday and Friday, lowest during the weekend.
- The best time of day is between 12pm and 5pm (as people are probably bored at work 🙂
- Short messages of up to 10 words are the most effective, 3x more effective than long texts.
- Targeted and personalized notifications are opened 2x more than generic messages.
- 5% of push notifications are opened in the games category
The compete document by Localytics is available for download at: http://info.localytics.com/blog/the-one-mobile-trend-you-cant-ignore-in-2015